Proliant Support Pack 8.5 – 8.7 Bug – iLO Management Controller Driver Missing

Server Model Affected: Proliant DL380 G4, Windows Server 2008 SP2 x86

I’ve had to deal with an annoying issue just recently – When attempting to install the latest Proliant Support Pack (8.7) on a server, the installation of the SNMP management agents failed to install with a missing dependency. The error was as follows:

Installation for “HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003/2008 x64 Editions” requires one or more of the following that is not currently installed or in the install set:

– HP ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows
– HP ProLiant iLO Advanced and Enhanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows
– HP ProLiant iLO 2 Management Controller Driver for Windows
– HP ProLiant iLO 3 Management Controller Driver for Windows
– HP ProLiant 100-Series Management Controller Driver for Windows

After a bit of hair pulling, I did succeed in getting the 8.7 Drivers installed. Read on.

It would appear that it is reasonably common practice where upgrading from really old HP drivers to new ones to have to install an intermediate driver to continue to upgrade. Borrowing upon this concept I downloaded the HP Proliant Support Pack 8.3 for Server 2008 x86 and installed. This support pack included the controller driver that was missing in 8.7.

After installing the 8.3 PSP, I was then able to install the 8.7 PSP over the top with no further issues.

Just goes to show theres a reason for keeping those older PSPs around

 

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Proliant Support Pack 8.5 – 8.7 Bug – iLO Management Controller Driver Missing

  1. hosfe

    Hallo Ben
    Thank you Ben for your article. Also, I’m on the road in this area (HPILO) with Powershell. Have you also tried using .Net WebClient access to the ILO?
    $webclient = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
    $info = $webclient.UploadString($sslurl,”POST”,$string)
    Unfortunately I was not successful until now!
    soon
    Felix

  2. Ben Post author

    Hi Felix,

    Yep, I have considered making all my scripts completely native to powershell, but time has been an issue for me.

    Powershell also has a nasty habit of making text Unicode when you least expect it. It took me nearly a week to work out what was going on with my SSL Script as the CA would not accept the CSR. Unicode bites 🙂

    Good luck with your scripting! 🙂

  3. hosfe

    Hi Ben
    You make me curious! If I very kindly ask that you would show me how you solved the problem (Net.WebClient – the native powershell way)!
    My solution is nothing special. I have an XML file that I’ve saved the configuration. The call for the cpqlocfg.exe I created as you. The collected data is stored at the end again in an XML File.
    Soon Felix

  4. LABATT

    THE ERROR ABOUT THE SNMP SERVICE WAS A WINDOW THING NOT A PSP, THE PSP ANY VERSIO REQUIRES THAT WINDOWS SNMP SERVICE TO BE RUNNING, THIS CAN BE DONE BY ADDING THIS FEATURE UNDER THE WIN2K8 SERVER ADMIN CONSOLE AFTERWHICTH YOU RESTART THE PSP AND ALL WILL BE FINE.

    THE PSP 8.3 BASICALLY DID THIS BEHIND THE SCENE FOR YOU

    1. Ben Post author

      Hi Labatt,
      in this case I have to disagree, as I did indeed have the SNMP Feature installed and configured prior to attempting this. Given that this is an old post, I suspect that the new support packs no longer have this issue 🙂

      Cheers

Comments are closed.